Beard Balm vs. Beard Oil: What’s the Difference?
You’ve earned it, man. You’ve flaunted that 2017 New Year’s resolution big and proud -- yes, that killer beard of yours that you’ve been letting grow all year.
But if you really want to continue being king in 2018, you have to use the tools that will make sure your beard looks awesome. Every. Single. Day.
Here are a few words about beard balm and beard oil, the best products to keep your facial hair at its very best, while giving it that prized sheen. Oh, and it also protects against that yucky stuff like dirt and grime.
- Beard balm is a pomade that looks like a hair wax and that is used to control and even out your beard to give it an impeccable finish, while also moisturizing and conditioning it. Even better, the product leaves a light fragrance on your beard.
- Designed for long beards but also ideal for shorter beards, a balm helps give your beard a kick-ass shape while providing it with volume and making it look fuller. For shorter beards, it helps discipline unruly hairs that are growing in every direction.
- The best beard balms are formulated with organic castor oil, grapeseed, or coconut oils, as well as natural butters like shea butter. They also contain beeswax, which gives more body and consistency to the beard. Why are they better? Well, who really enjoys spreading toxic petrochemical by-products on their face… Plus, these natural ingredients help your beard appear thicker, and are less likely to irritate your skin.
Beard oil is a cosmetic product specially formulated to hydrate and make your beard soft, manageable and fuller. It also gives it a great light sheen.
- It’s a real game changer to relieve dry, itchy skin. And essential to eliminate ‘beardruff’ – AKA dandruff from your beard. If you don’t use beard oil, your skin starts becoming so dry (particularly in winter!) that when you scratch, it starts to flake causing those white specs of ‘beardruff’ on your T-shirts, sweaters and jackets. Ummmm…. Not so handsome, right? Plus, beard oil helps treat ingrown hairs and soothe irritation, so it’s a must!
- Just like the best beard balms, chose a beard oil mainly formulated with natural, wholesome ingredients like sweet almond oil, vitamin E, beeswax and real essential oils – not fragrance – distilled from lavender, rosemary or lemon, that will nourish your skin while making your beard soft and manageable.
As you can see, beard balm and beard oil are very similar products when it comes to their formulations. The major difference is the consistency of the beard balm: thicker than beard oil, it is used as a styling product. The oil, on the other hand, is easier to get to the skin under your beard to quickly soothe dry, itchy skin and treat ingrown hairs.
Yes, it does that time, effort and patience to sport a killer beard. But why settle for anything less? You deserve it, man!